Pan African Media Portal
- Encouraging the creation of new knowledge on the media landscape in Africa.
- Improving understanding of Africa's media environment, to better inform present and future actions on media issues
- Providing a centralised access point to dispersed, fragmented information.
- Becoming a platform for exchange of knowledge among stakeholders and promoting debate among them, through:
- Pooling information about media in each African country, including listings of television, radio, newspapers and online media, including data about ownership, directors and contact details.
- Gathering and analyzing information about the regulatory framework in each African country and facilitating public access to this information.
- Aggregating reports, studies and documents about 'Media and Development' actors, projects and issues in Africa and making this information easily accessible.
- Building a media research community across the continent to document what exists and what works, to share insights and best practices and to strengthen academic capacity in the African media sector.
- Initiating and contributing to online and offline debates based on available data and analysis
- Compiling and generating information about financing facilities from national, regional or international structures for media outlets and journalist associations, as well as for media development organisations and researchers.
The Pan African Media Portal is a joint initiative of the African Union Commission (AUC), the African Media Initiative (AMI), the AllAfrica Global Media and A24 Media.
The AUC acts as the convening party along with AMI; AllAfrica provides a technical platform and systems-development; A24 Media assumed responsibility for site conceptualization and seeding content.
The AU Commission
The Commission is the key organ playing a central role in the day-to-day management of the African Union. Among others, it represents the Union and defends its interests; elaborates draft common positions of the Union; prepares strategic plans and studies for the consideration of the Executive Council; elaborates, promotes, coordinates and harmonizes the programmes and policies of the Union with those of the RECs; ensures the mainstreaming of gender in all programmes and activities of the Union.
Members of the Commission
- Deputy Chairperson
- Eight (8) Commissioners
- Staff members
Portfolios of the Commission
- PEACE AND SECURITY (Conflict Prevention, Management and Resolution, and Combating Terrorism)
- POLITICAL AFFAIRS (Human Rights, Democracy, Good Governance, Electoral Institutions, Civil Society Organizations, Humanitarian Affairs, Refugees, Returnees and Internally Displaced Persons)
- INFRASTRUCTURE AND ENERGY (Energy, Transport, Communications, Infrastructure and Tourism)
- SOCIAL AFFAIRS (Health, Children, Drug Control, Population, Migration, Labour and Employment, Sports and Culture)
- HUMAN RESOURCES, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (Education, Information Technology Communication, Youth, Human Resources, Science and Technology)
- TRADE AND INDUSTRY (Trade, Industry, Customs and Immigration Matters)
- RURAL ECONOMY AND AGRICULTURE (Rural Economy, Agriculture and Food Security, Livestock, Environment, Water and Natural Resources and Desertification)
- ECONOMIC AFFAIRS (Economic Integration, Monetary Affairs, Private Sector Development, Investment and Resource Mobilization)
The African Media Initiative (AMI) is a pan-African programme that seeks to strengthen the continent's private and independent media sector from an owner and operator perspective in order to promote democratic governance, social development and economic growth. It does so through a set of strategic activities aimed at transforming the media and communications landscape on the continent. AMI's overall goal is to promote the development of pluralistic media as a necessary and critical ingredient of democratic governance, as well as economic and human development in Africa.
AllAfrica Global Media is a multi-media content service provider, systems technology developer and the largest electronic distributor of African news and information worldwide, in collaboration with over 130 African media organizations. Registered in Mauritius, with offices in Johannesburg, Dakar, Abuja and Washington, D.C., Through the website allafrica.com and dissemination partners AllAfrica aggregates, produces and distributes news from across Africa to tens of millions of end users. AllAfrica is the entry point to a global, Africa-interested audience, as well as a pioneering set of technologies that addresses a significant marketplace gap for secure, accessible and cost-effective transactions and data management.
At A24 Media, our objective is to tell the African story to the world and maintain our position as the number one source for high quality content on African issues for both local and global audiences. A24 Media — the first Pan-African online agency for Video, Pictures & Text. We are an online platform where you can get captivating videos and images from Africa delivered on demand.
Our content offering includes Current Affairs, Sports, Nature & Wildlife, Personality Profiles, Documentaries and other Human Interest Features drawn from across the continent.
We promptly deliver high quality images and video content via FTP or Tape to clients' specifications. We have one of the largest video and picture archives on Africa dating back to the 1960's. We update new content daily across each category. We offer content at affordable rates with various packages to suit all your needs and requirements.